Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dear Half-Priced Books, my name is Emily and I owe you an apology...

Saint Valentine delivered this delightful little cookbook to Glenmary Avenue on February 14. Drew found me this little treasure at Half-Price Books - a Louisville institution that I do nothing but make fun of. Drew loves, I mean loves, Half-Price Books but I consider it the Sam's Wholesale Club/Salvation Army/Goodwill of books - the smelly, florescent-light lit store just isn't my favorite place to visit on a weekend. I actually tell Drew, on a regular basis, that Half-Price Books is where good books go to die.

Well...I stand corrected and admit that I was wrong. Drew found me a vintage, nearly perfect, 1971 edition of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and I couldn't be happier.
I don't plan on making each of Volume 1's 524 recipes, but I do plan to try a few out. The boeuf bourguignon will be something to try on a special occasion.
The original owner left me some notes of substitutions and cooking times. The note above mentions how to compare medium, large and extra-large eggs.
The cookbook was initially was released in 1961, my 39-year-old copy is in very good shape, just a few sauce splatters here and there - just adds character. 
Griffie was pleased with Drew's gift selection.


With any luck Drew will stumble upon Volume 2 of Mastering. I guess I just gave him an excuse to visit Half-Priced Books (they place where good books go to die).


No comments:

Post a Comment