This Tasty Kitchen recipe was our dinner Saturday night - or at least a version of it was. I was pumped about this dish because that the only thing I was going to have to buy for the entire recipe was a jalapeño, so I purchased my 25¢ jalapeño and got to work. I soon realized that I didn't have the appropriate pasta, I had no fresh parsley or thyme, and was shy two ears of corn. I was off to a great start. I jumped in anyway and it turned out pretty tasty. I was pleased with the sauce (no heavy cream!), it wasn't too heavy, and when served with a salad it was a filling dinner. Next time I'll use the entire jalapeño, add more bacon, add a touch more pasta water to the eggs, and toss in a dash of red pepper flakes.
Pasta Carbonara with Corn and Chilies
(my alterations are noted)
Ingredients:
1 pound egg noodles (bowtie pasta)
⅓ pounds bacon, diced (more, just add more)
4 ears sweet corn, scraped (just had 2)
½ whole jalapeño, seeded and chopped
6 cloves garlic chopped (3, because I'm old and can no longer handle garlic)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (this just didn't happen for me)
¼ cups fresh parsley, chopped (added a dash of dried parsley)
½ cups dry white wine
3 whole egg yolks
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
Preparation Instructions:
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
While the pasta is cooking, over medium-high heat, brown the bacon. Add the corn and lightly brown the edges. After about 5 minutes, add the jalapeno, garlic, and thyme. Stir for 2 minutes. Add the parsley and wine. Simmer on low heat.
In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks. Slowly add in the reserved cooking liquid to temper them. Add the pasta and egg yolks to the corn mixture and toss. Remove from heat, add the cheese and toss to form a silky sauce, 1 to 2 minutes.
Top with extra cheese and chives if desired.
recipe and photo from Tasty Kitchen
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:
Post a Comment