Friday, June 15, 2012

Pretty in pink

Thursday night I felt like making a birthday cake - just for me. For the next hour I scoured several blogs, websites and cookbooks all in effort to find the perfect scratch chocolate cake and whipped butter-cream frosting recipes. Then I went to Value-Mart and shelled out $4 for a Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix and a can, yes a can, of vanilla buttercream frosting. I whipped up the cake and tinted the frosting super-girly pink, and then I added lots of sprinkles! It's not homemade but it's good, and girly. To enure that I didn't eat an entire cake, I took it work Friday morning.

As I walked into the office, my cake in hand, my co-workers started signing Happy Birthday To You. They surprised me with a full-blown party, complete with hits from the 1980s. We had chocolate chip cookies, chocolate fudge cookies, my cake and fancy coffee. I was the recipient of 30 magnetic paperclips, 30 note cards, 30 in-shell pecans, 30 pieces of gum, 30 pieces of Laffy Taffy, 30 Hershey Kisses, 30 index cards, 30 Dove chocolates, an iTunes playlist of 30 songs, and a video - which I have yet to see. I was so pleased, it meant a lot that they remembered.
Thank you to the Griffins for my lovely tulips.






No comments:

Post a Comment